Position Commitment Estimate: 2 years minimum, 40 hours per week (Full-Time)
Potential Start Date: July 2021
Directly Supervised by ALP Executive Leadership (Director or Co-Director, Operations/Administration/Development)
The Audre Lorde Project (ALP) is a Lesbian, Gay, Bi, Two Spirit, Trans and Gender Non Conforming (LGBTSTGNC) People of Color (POC) center for community organizing, focusing on the NYC area. Through mobilization, education and capacity-building, we work for community wellness and progressive social & economic justice. Committed to struggling across differences, we seek to responsibly reflect, represent and serve our various communities.
As a local organizing center and nationally recognized organization in the struggle for racial, social, and economic justice, ALP is hiring for a Manager of Finance and Operations. This person is central to supporting our next stage of organizational and programmatic growth through building upon and maintaining strong organizational infrastructure and sustainable finances. This leader, who reports to and works closely with Executive Leadership, must be a dynamic and creative individual committed to justice, leadership development, and financial practices and values that reflect ALP’s principles.With the completion of our 3-year strategic plan in 2019, our stakeholders uplifted a long-term goal of ALP’s financial independence and sustainability. The Manager of Finance and Operations will serve as a thought partner to Executive Leadership, supporting these goals, keeping ALP’s fiscal standing transparent and accessible to stakeholders, and helping to ensure that we are expanding at the rate that sets us up for long-term success as we continue our work towards the liberation of all LGBTSTGNC POC.
What Does the Manager of Finance and Operations Do?
- Maintain ALP’s financial health by managing all spending, monitoring cash flow, and leading the annual participatory budgeting process
- Keep ALP’s stakeholders, Executive Leadershiping, staff, Board, and core members up-to-date on our fiscal standing
- Ensure we are compliant with local and federal laws around our tax-exempt status, including implementing internal checks-and-balances and facilitating our annual audit and tax filing
- Assist with fundraising as needed, including supporting government contracts and foundation reports
- Increase the financial knowledge of ALP’s stakeholders through skillshares and trainings
- Financial Management (30%)
- Monitor income and expenses, ensure adherence to fiscal policies and protocols, and facilitate annual participatory budget process and financial planning activities.
- Support the submission of timely and accurate grant proposals and reports by providing financial information.
- Manage financials of New York State Department of Health (DOH) contract grants.
- Ensure timely and accurate reports on operations and finances; Manage audit process; provide troubleshooting with Board and staff to meet budgetary goals.
- Serve as the primary liaison to the bookkeeper on monthly financial reconciliation.
- Work with the Grassroots Fundraising Coordinator to process donation income.
- Operations (30%)
- Manage payroll, benefits administration, and compliance; support onboarding of staff; maintain all forms for HR.
- Administrative responsibilities related to consultants, including payment, required documentation, and filings.
- Coordinate smooth functioning of administrative systems, including dealing with vendors, maintaining clean records, and supporting programming when necessary.
- Supervise the management of day-to-day activities of the organization, including upkeep of ALP’s physical spaces, correspondence with management of facilities. Organize and maintain files, accounting software, and databases.
- Leadership Development & Facilitation (15%)
- Grow the finance skills of ALP’s community members by facilitating workshops and committees.
- Programmatic Support (15%)
- Contribute to ALP’s program work by assisting at events and member meetings.
- Strategic & Operation Planning (10%)
- Participate in organizational development, including strategic and operational planning to align operations and financial systems with ALP’s strategic priorities.
Qualities We’d Love to See in an Applicant
- Strong experience in overseeing and providing fiscal oversight for organizational and program budgets.
- Strong experience implementing administrative and human resource systems.
- Demonstrated experience managing multiple funding streams (especially government contracts).
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills.
- Strong working knowledge of LGBTSTGNC & POC communities, resources, and issues in the NYC area.
- Experience with facilitating or coordinating financial literacy skillshares or economic justice political education workshops.
- Able to use PC-based word processing and database programs.
- Ability to work flexible hours, including evenings and weekends, usually 1 evening per week.
- Aligned politics around capitalism and economic justice.
- Experience supervising staff and/or members and volunteers.
- Multilingual in English and another language preferred.
What You Don’t Need
- A college degree. ALP recognizes that this is a common barrier to keep people of color and people from low-income backgrounds out of positions of power.
- Non-Profit-centered experience.
Who Should Apply?
The Audre Lorde Project is committed to justice for LGBTSTGNC people, people of color, women and femmes, immigrants, poor and low-income people, people with disabilities, chronic health issues, and mental health concerns, formerly and currently incarcerated people, youth, elders, parents, those living with HIV, and those practicing religion or faith. ALP offers equal opportunity employment to all of these groups and others required by law.
We believe that our people have the tools and lived experiences to fight for their own liberation and must lead the movement for justice. Therefore, we prioritize our work being led by those most affected by our work.
Though we are currently working remotely, all applicants must be based in NYC.
What Benefits Does This Position Provide?
ALP pays for 100% of premiums for employee health, dental, and vision coverage; flex spending account and additional wellness programs; retirement account; commuter benefits; life insurance; and annual professional development stipend. Generous leave benefits provided, including vacation, wellness and sick days, personal days, holidays, and the first week of July, last week of November, and last two weeks of the year off.
How Do You Apply?
Please submit applications electronically via our BambooHR job postings page. Please include a résumé, cover letter, and three references.